Al is a member of the California Art Club, the Los Gatos Art Association, the Carmel Art Assoc., and the Monterey Bay Plein Air Assoc. (MBPAPA) where he was juried to Signature Artist status in Nov 2018.
Website: alshamble.com/ArtistEye Email: email@example.com
I am now on Facebook with 2 pages : Al Shamble artist and also Alfred Shamble
Al’s paintings are in private and public collections, and have shown in museums and galleries.
ARTIST BIO and Awards
Al Shamble is a contemporary California landscape painter, always drawn to the Light and Majesty of the Sierra Nevada Mountains and the great Pacific Ocean. As an environmentalist, he hopes that his Plein Air and studio pieces convey the need to recognize, and preserve our beautiful natural resources.
Al was born in New York City and lived on nearby Long Island as a child, were he was encouraged to draw, paint, and explore nature at the Atlantic seashore. After his family moved to California, Al discovered the mountains and the Pacific. Sketching and backpacking in the mountains of Yosemite and the high Sierras and photographing under the Ocean ; he captured the scenes and ‘memories of place’ later to be portrayed in watercolor and oil paintings.
Al studied Biology and Graphic Design at De Anza Jr College, and then earned a BA at UCSD with a Major in Molecular Biology and a Minor in Visual Arts. Always drawing, painting and photographing, Al’s career in Semiconductor Operations and Engineering Management in Silicon Valley was an effective blending of creativity, art and science. In 1993 Al still found time on Fridays and Tuesday nights to study watercolor and classical oil painting for the next 12 years with Tom Sparacino in Santa Clara.
Al retired early in 2014 from Semiconductors , to paint full time.
In the past 6 years Al’s paintings have been on display at museums, galleries, exhibitions and competitions. Workshops and instructions include Zoltan Szabo, Mark Monsarrat, CW Mundy, and Kevin Courter. Al attended Plein Air Magazine Conventions, with week long lectures, and demonstrations in Monterey in 2014 and 2015, in San Diego 2017 , Santa Fe in 2018 and San Francisco in 2019.
He is registered as a Plein Air Force member to help instruct others with Plein Air painting.
Major Awards and Major Juried Exhibitions at Plein Air Competitions and Juried Shows
- “ Special Award” Santa Cruz County Realtors Capitola Plein Air 2019. Nov 2019
- 2nd Place “Painting from Porches” Nat’l Trust Historic Preservation juror Dick Crispo Monterey Sept 2019
- Los Gatos Plein Air 2019 Los Gatos, Ca. June 2019
- Juried to Signature Artist Status Monterey Bay Plein Air Painters Assoc. Nov. 2018
- Honorable Mention LGAA Fall Members Show by juror George Rivera Nov. 2018
- “Statewide 2D Salon Competition/ Exhibition” Triton Museum of Art, Santa Clara 2017
- Randy Higby “National 6×6 Exhibition and Sale” Costa Mesa, Ca 2016-2017
- Capitola Plein Air Competition Capitola, Ca Nov 2016
- The Valley of Hearts Delight” Exhibition Filoli Historic Site Woodside, Ca Aug-Oct 2016
- “Greater Bay Area Open” LGAA Exhibition and Sale Los Gatos, Ca June-Aug 2015
- 2nd Place Professional “Magic of Capitola en Plein Air” City purchase, Capitola Nov. 2015
- 1st Place ”Art in the Gardens, Plein Air Monterey” Monterey, Ca Sept. 2015
Recent Juried Competitions, Exhibits and Galleries:
- “Creativity Endures, Nature Inspires” MBPAPA Members. Pacific Grove,Ca. Sept-Oct 2020
- Plein Air to Studio” MBPAPA Signature Artists Show Pacific Grove,Ca. July- Aug 2020
- “90th Statewide California Landscape Exhibition” Santa Cruz, Ca. Feb- April 2020
- “Uncharted Territory” Coastal Arts League Virtual Half Moon Bay July – Sept 2020
- “Convergence Art Show” Big Sur Land Trust/ CSUMB Salinas , Ca. Feb- March 2020
Other Juried Competitions, Exhibits and Galleries:
North Tahoe Arts Plein Air Competition North Tahoe, Ca Sept 2014
Oregon Plein Air Competition Eugene, Oregon Aug 2015
Lost Gatos Art Association Members Show Los Gatos, Ca Nov – Jan 2015
Benicia Plein Air Paint Out Benicia, Ca Aug 2016
Many Hands Gallery Capitola, Ca Sept – Oct 2016
Capitola Plein Air Competition Capitola, Ca Nov 2016
Lost Gatos Art Association Members Show Los Gatos, Ca Nov 2016- Jan 2017
“Scenic Roadways of Monterey County” Salinas ,Ca May 2016-2017
Art in the Council Chambers Los Gatos, Ca May 2017
“3 Against ALZ”benefit, Coastal Art League, 30 of my paintings Half Moon Bay June-July 2017
Lost Gatos Art Association Members Show Los Gatos,Ca Nov 2017- Jan 2018
“Art, Love and Wine” Central Coast Plein Air Painters Watsonville, Ca. Feb 2018
“MBPAPA Natividad 2018 Exhibition Salinas,Ca March 2018- 2019
MBPAPA “California Dreaming” Members Show Pacific Grove, Ca July-Aug 2018
“A Toast to the Coast” Central Coast Plein Air Painters Watsonville, Ca. Feb 2018
Monterey County Open Studio Exhibition,Walter Lee Avery Gallery Seaside,Ca Sept-Oct 2018
Al works at his new home studio in East Garrison, near Marina , and at his many outdoor “offices” in the Sierras and on the Pacific Coast.
You can also reach me by leaving a Comment here at the bottom of this page. I edit all comments before posting, and can respond by email.
Here is a fun profile my son Noel wrote about me some years ago: